[VIDEO] How to build DXGL from SVN

Discuss development and code patches for DXGL.
William
Site Admin

[VIDEO] How to build DXGL from SVN

Post by William »

Official video demonstrating the process of retrieving all free programs required to build DXGL from SVN, then checking out the source code, and finally building it into a working installer.
This is meant to replace an unofficial post that provided debug-only SVN builds with missing revision info.

Please note that "debug" builds are for your private use only, and redistribution of these is a violation of both Microsoft licensing agreements (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... .100).aspx) and the LGPL (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.html). If you wish to share SVN builds, please set Visual Studio to "Release," and preferably distribute the installer generated in the Installer folder.
Last edited by William on January 30th, 2017, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Downgrade to VC2010 and embed video from new channel.
twipley

Re: [VIDEO] How to build DXGL from SVN

Post by twipley »

William wrote:In the meantime, simply replace Visual C++ 2010 Express with Visual Studio 2013 Community, and Windows XP or above with Windows 7 or above for prerequisites.
I do not understand much about building software. Are compiling prerequisites the same as running-system requirements? In other words, am I hearing that XP support is being dropped? Because my interest is running DXGL from under Windows XP.

Otherwise, great project. I will be visiting here and then.
twipley

Post by twipley »

Oh! Man, you can ignore my post just above, as I've just launched the video and seen the comment which points out that "XP is still supported for binaries created with these instructions."

Great to know!

[By the way, for bug 47 I just opened up yesterday, custom resolutions might work the same way integer-factor scaling would do, so one or the other would be fine for those who want an exact multiplier (e.g., 2x) for nearest-neighbor scaling.]
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

You are correct. Binaries generated (at least in Release mode) will still be completely compatible with Windows XP SP3, and Windows Server 2003/XP X64 service pack 1 or 2 (Microsoft only officially supports SP2 for the v120_xp toolchain but my testing indicates SP1 works, at least for DXGL). Those still using XP service pack 2 or later, or Windows Server 2003 with no service pack, can upgrade for free to SP3 or SP2 respectively.

EDIT: There are now multiple supported build platforms, specifically in addition to Visual Studio 2010 is Visual Studio 2019 (binaries compatible with Windows Vista and up), Visual Studio 2008 (binaries compatible with Windows 2000 and up), and Visual Studio 2005 (binaries fully compatible with Windows 2000 and up, config program works on Windows 98 when compiled with VS2005).