does this work with windowed games?

Discuss topics related to DXGL that don't belong in any other category.
twipley

does this work with windowed games?

Post by twipley »

Hello Mr Feely!

I have a question for you. Is DXGL compatible with windowed games (such as http://mattmakesgames.com/games/Jumper.zip), or is it exclusively designed for fullscreen games (such as Thief)?

Cheers, and continue the great work!
twipley
William
Site Admin

Re: does this work with windowed games?

Post by William »

It is designed for both types of DirectDraw games actually.

There is no forced fullscreen support at this time, and I currently do not have plans for forced fullscreen.

Jumper! does use DirectDraw, however, I have found a DXGL bug; pressing F4 to go into "fullscreen" mode results in a black screen. Tested on DXGL 0.5.10 and the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview build.
twipley

Post by twipley »

All right. I am as much (if not even more) interested in features such as 2x scaling in windowed mode, than I am in 'forced fullscreen'.

So, I am getting from what you are saying that it might be possible to do 2x in windowed mode, in the future, with 'Jumper!'?
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

Unfortunately, I do not have any current plans. I guess I would have to do the same thing that Windows does to older programs when you crank up the DPI scaling, which is to simulate the mouse pointer at these higher scaling modes. I already do so in my fullscreen scaling modes, but unfortunately it is currently broken. I am currently in the middle of a rewrite, but as my new job has been taking up a lot of time, I haven't had that much time or energy to work on DXGL.
twipley

Post by twipley »

It's fine that it is not in your current plans, really.

I am sorry that your new job is taking up that much of your energy and of your time. (I also, to share this, am in a new job -- one which is taking up both of these elements from me and prevents me from pursuing such projects. In my case I am lucky, since it might be possible in the future to drop to four-days weeks or so.)

Let's hope that you, too, in the future will find some of the necessary time to continue the rewrite where you left it at.

Yours,
twipley
twipley

Post by twipley »

Hello!

Just to understand it clearly, is there any way to 2x-scale windowed games, such as the original Jumper?

Or else, updated plans for future 'forced fullscreen' mode?

I would just be happy with changing the size of the contents of the window, even though I know I there might be problems with the mouse mapping while doing so (which I really wouldn't mind).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yours, twipley
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

twipley wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 7:41 am Hello!

Just to understand it clearly, is there any way to 2x-scale windowed games, such as the original Jumper?

Or else, updated plans for future 'forced fullscreen' mode?

I would just be happy with changing the size of the contents of the window, even though I know I there might be problems with the mouse mapping while doing so (which I really wouldn't mind).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yours, twipley
I still haven't quite figured it out, but some of the changes in the next version will bring me a step closer as I now have a bit greater control over the mouse cursor.
twipley

Post by twipley »

Okay. Great!

I am downloading the new version (0.5.14). However, I am wondering something...

Can you tell me if there would be any way for DXGL to double-scale the output of this game? (you can download it here: http://kopasite.net/up/u27hrhkuvujc87g/sokoban.zip)

(I am sending you the password to decrypt the archive via PM, since I am not wishing to publish my level selection of this yet.)

Cheers!
twipley
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

I just checked, and unfortunately that game does not use DirectDraw, so DXGL will have absolutely no effect on it. Only way to double scale (it will double scale everything) would be to set your system DPI to 200%.
twipley

Post by twipley »

Okay. Thanks for the help!