Black screen on Windows XP SP3

Discuss bugs in DXGL or make suggestions. Please note that issues will be better tracked if you file a report at https://www.dxgl.info/bugzilla/
2Pacalypse-

Black screen on Windows XP SP3

Post by 2Pacalypse- »

First, I know you said we should use Bugzilla for bug reports. But their site is being buggy at the moment and it's not sending me an e-mail when I register.

Anyways, I got really excited when I found your DXGL project because I'm an avid Starcraft player who was searching for solution on how to play Starcraft on Windows 7 for last few years.

I didn't get far with DXGL though, because it gives me a black screen as soon as I run Starcraft.
My graphics card supports OpenGL 2.1 and I have the latest drivers.
I used DXGL with default settings.
I'm running Windows XP SP3.
I tested DXGL with Diablo II as well, got the same result.
Only way to close the game after the black screen is to end its process in Task Manager.

Any tips on how to fix this black screen so I can test DXGL more thoroughly?
William
Site Admin

Re: Black screen on Windows XP SP3

Post by William »

I have the Bugzilla site fixed now. When you report the bug, please specify the graphics card you are using. Thanks.

Also, I need to do a little more testing in XP because I have been having black screen issues in XP too.
2Pacalypse-

Post by 2Pacalypse- »

I have a nvidia GeForce GTX 260.

But in the meantime, I found that the problem is probably in my OpenGL installation being messed up somehow because even ddhack wrapper doesn't work for me anymore while it worked before. Also, when I try to run test in OpenGL Extension Viewer I get an unhandled exception.

I tried clean installation of newest GFX drivers, even including the beta ones, but still the problem persists.
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

I have added the bug to the Bugzilla for you, at top priority. It is not specific to Starcraft or Diablo II. On my computer, I couldn't go fullscreen in DXGLTest on my XP installation either.

EDIT: I just committed a fix to the SVN repository. Turns out I didn't have an EnterCriticalSection in one of my functions, but had a LeaveCriticalSection, and it corrupted the critical section object used for thread safety, but only in XP. I hope to have a new version out by this weekend.
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

I just released DXGL version 0.3.2, with the fix for XP included. Download at the usual place, at https://www.dxgl.info/Downloads
Last edited by William on August 3rd, 2016, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Download page was changed since this post.