More scaling methods? (stretch filters)

Discuss bugs in DXGL or make suggestions. Please note that issues will be better tracked if you file a report at https://www.dxgl.info/bugzilla/

More scaling methods? (stretch filters)

Post by www »

Currently only nearest and bilinear are supported. Could use more, like xBRZ. Or at least bicubic, it's not hard to implement, right?
Nearest is only useful for games like HoMM 3 (game window is locked to 800x600, and your monitor's resolution is 1600x1200 or higher)
Bilinear is useful... not sure when, its blur is insane, bicubic has half as much. Why using it at all?
Here's some comparsion from custom opengl wrapper, stretching 800x600 to 1920x1080. Please think about it.

Image, nearest

Image, bilinear

Image, bicubic

Image, xBRZ x4 + bicubic

Text, nearest

Text, bilinear

Text, bicubic

Text, xBRZ x4 + bicubic
William
Site Admin

Re: More scaling methods? (stretch filters)

Post by William »

Once I figure out how to do scaling shaders, this will be worked on.

My idea currently for scaling shaders is to support RetroArch shaders. When/if I implement this, you would have to supply the shader scripts yourself, because there is a conflict in licensing between DXGL and RetroArch, and as such such a shader engine would be built from the ground up.

(good news, just found out the Slang compiler is MIT-licensed so I could add that in the far future, but shaders would still have to be a separate download since they are GPL)