Windows 7 -- Configuration Manager Broken?!

Discuss bugs in DXGL or make suggestions. Please note that issues will be better tracked if you file a report at https://www.dxgl.info/bugzilla/
William
Site Admin

Re: Windows 7 -- Configuration Manager Broken?!

Post by William »

I will have the files ready in the next few days.
I have nearly completed DXGL 0.5.17 and will provide these files once I have it released.
ZoriaRPG

Post by ZoriaRPG »

Brilliant. TYVM.

I'm still compiling changes and resources for 2,53 R3, and of course, for 2.55 BETA. That is still a bit off, as I have duties to accomplish before we exit ALPHA, but it is getting close and 2,53 R3 should be the start of all of this.
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

Here are the configuration files I have come up with:
https://dxgl.org/download/etc/dxgl-zc-cfg.zip

There are three Include directives at the end of dxgl.cfg - uncomment just the one you want for a particular fullscreen configuration, and as mentioned disregard them for window mode and use zc.cfg/zquest.cfg instead.

These configuration files require the ddraw.dll file from DXGL 0.5.17 or newer to work properly. Version 0.5.17 was released just this week at the usual download page.

The legacy version of DXGL is dependent on the Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable, and the non-legacy version is dependent on the current Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable.
ZoriaRPG

Post by ZoriaRPG »

Very good. I'll put it together.

I didn't intentionally delete the PM where you described how to set this up as an included minimal config, but it's gone. Can you reiterate the process, please? (or, was that in a thread?)

I take it that dxgl fully respects the config files in ZC 2.53 and above? Which of the three video modes is best for window output?

; For window mode, set window mode in zc.cfg or zquest.cfg
; Window mode scaline will come in a later version of DXGL.

Also, can that redistrib VC10 lib be included in the path local to dxgl.dll or must the user install it fully?

Last,you said that DXGL will now run as a standalone included dll, but as we are including dxgl.dll in the game folder, and the installer says that it needs the COM fix for this to work, what do we do here for Win8/10 users?

Do they need to run the installer script?

P.S. 'm unsure what you changed other than to allow t to compile on MSVC08,but I can now see the config utility once again after installing this update.
ZoriaRPG

Post by ZoriaRPG »

Well now, this is new...

DXGL worked a few times, then for some reason opening instances of ZC or ZQ instantly crashes. Here are the Windows fault details:

Code: Select all

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	zquest.exe
  Application Version:	0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	5d888145
  Fault Module Name:	DDRAW.dll
  Fault Module Version:	0.5.17.950
  Fault Module Timestamp:	5d855517
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	00046ad8
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	2057
  Additional Information 1:	0a9e
  Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:	0a9e
  Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Seems to have been caused by an incorrect setting in zquest.cfg. :shrug:

Let me know if you want a copy of that zquest.cfg config file for use in testing.
ZoriaRPG

Post by ZoriaRPG »

Please let me know which DLLs from the VC++10 runtime DXGL needs. I may try to package only those, with ZC.

In the interim, here's a new ZC build, with a new version of ZLaunch that includes a button to enabledisabe DXGL, and a lister for the video mode to use, of the three provided.

https://timelord.insomnia247.nl/zc-dev/ ... -37GMT.zip

Huzzah!
ZoriaRPG

Post by ZoriaRPG »

Actually, while I'm thinking about it: Would it be feasible to static link the MSVC++10 deps into the ddraw.dll (compile with /MT?) , so that it doesn't need them separately installed?

I'ven't ever attempted to do that, but perhaps you'd know the answer.
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

I do believe static linking would run into LGPL issues as that would mean including nonfree code in the binary. However, the runtimes required are the x86 versions of msvcr100.dll and msvcp100.dll

This package contains the fully updated versions of the runtimes: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=26999

The non-legacy version uses vcruntime140.dll and msvcp140.dll however these might be dependent on the Windows Universal C Runtime, which on versions of Windows prior to 10 is installed by the redistributable installer. So unless you want to invoke the redistributable installer the legacy version may be the easiest to deploy.
ZoriaRPG

Post by ZoriaRPG »

William wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 12:24 pm I do believe static linking would run into LGPL issues as that would mean including nonfree code in the binary. However, the runtimes required are the x86 versions of msvcr100.dll and msvcp100.dll

This package contains the fully updated versions of the runtimes: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=26999

The non-legacy version uses vcruntime140.dll and msvcp140.dll however these might be dependent on the Windows Universal C Runtime, which on versions of Windows prior to 10 is installed by the redistributable installer. So unless you want to invoke the redistributable installer the legacy version may be the easiest to deploy.
There may be a few ways around this, but, failing anything else, why not migrate to the Mozilla Public Lib license?

https://softwareengineering.stackexchan ... e-lgpl-3-0

I'm not entirely certain why those libs are needed, gien that IIRC, older dxgl versions didn't depend on those runtimes. What purpose are they serving especially building from MSVC08 (runtime vc90, which is notrequired)?

For now, I bundled those two DLLs. I suppose that I could rename all of the vc100 dlls in System32 to verify that the software still runs. Otherwise I would need to chase down someone with a win7 achine that lacks those two dlls.

More reading material to bog through:
https://opensource.stackexchange.com/qu ... pplication
ZoriaRPG

Post by ZoriaRPG »

Oh, I still don't know what that COM fix during the installer does, and if a user on Win8+ would need to run the DXGL installer and apply that, or if the .dll will run in that package as a standalone. My goal here is a completely standalone package, of course.

I randomly got that same crash from earlier, again, just now, with a zquest.cfg that worked fine a mere few hours ago:

Code: Select all

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	zquest.exe
  Application Version:	0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	5d8912a1
  Fault Module Name:	DDRAW.dll
  Fault Module Version:	0.5.17.950
  Fault Module Timestamp:	5d855517
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	00046ad8
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48