Lands of Lore II dithering

Discuss bugs in DXGL or make suggestions. Please note that issues will be better tracked if you file a report at https://www.dxgl.info/bugzilla/
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Lands of Lore II runs perfectly in DXGL now, but the dithering is pretty annoying, is it possible to turn it off somehow? I know the purpose of dithering, but look at the attached picture: it's doing way more harm than good.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (135.6 KiB) Viewed 29248 times
William
Site Admin

Re: Lands of Lore II dithering

Post by William »

Please try re-uploading the picture as PNG instead of JPEG. That way the quality won't be lost. I will add dithering control, and forced 32-bit rendering, to a later version of DXGL. Currently dithering is controlled by the application, and Lands of Lore II turns it on. DXGL actually re-adds a feature removed on recent GPUs using pixel shaders.
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

This feature will not appear for a while; it will be part of a major GUI overhaul of the configuration utility.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

That's good to hear it's coming. Don't have the source image atm. I uploaded it as jpg because of forum size restrctions, a max compressed png wouldn't fit. Probably could've switched to a lower resolution before screenshotting, but oh well.

The dithering pattern should be plenty apparent in that image though. It's pretty dark so you might not see it because of your monitor. I can't see it at my work monitor.
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

Hello. I have increased the maximum image size. It should be able to take a PNG upload now.
When I implement dithering control, I will also add the option to force 32-bit rendering, which should work for LOL:G with the exception of the loading screen (it uses DirectDraw direct surface access to draw the loading bar).
I have also removed your account from the "Newly Registerd Users" group, so your next post should show up immediately now. That is just an anti-spam measure as a good number of new registrations post spam for fake shoes, etc.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

If you're still curious, here's a 640x480 screenshot. Where it's supposed to be entirely black, there's a very obvious dither pattern (R:3, G:7, B:7. Should be visible on good monitors).
Attachments
LOLG95_2015_05_30_12_31_06_332.png
LOLG95_2015_05_30_12_31_06_332.png (374.03 KiB) Viewed 29231 times
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Also some minor rendering glitches (skybox seams, top of trees):
Attachments
LOLG95_2015_05_30_12_48_25_403.png
LOLG95_2015_05_30_12_48_25_403.png (400.92 KiB) Viewed 29231 times
Warnerguiva

Post by Warnerguiva »

Does this mean that Lands of Lore works somewhat? Would that be the DS build or the regular one?
<a href="https://www.noriualaus.com/rice-cooker-slow-cooker-reviews/">https://www.noriualaus.com/</a>
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

It would be the Windows version of the game. If you are referring to the two builds of DXGL on the download page the only difference is OS and processor compatibility.