Might and Magic VI

Discuss bugs in DXGL or make suggestions. Please note that issues will be better tracked if you file a report at https://www.dxgl.info/bugzilla/
SedrynTyros

Might and Magic VI

Post by SedrynTyros »

I got Might and Magic VI going on Windows 10 with DXGL and the Nearest Upscaling feature is fantastic! There is one glitch I've noticed, though. Whenever you lift an item out of any of the character's inventory to move it, it displays the graphic of the item off to the right rather than on top of the cursor (which is where the game thinks the item actually is). The closer you drag the cursor to the upper left of the screen, the closer to the cursor the item graphic gets, and if you move the cursor father to the right of the screen then the item graphic drifts even further from the cursor until it's off the screen altogether. It's not a major glitch but I wanted to report it in the hopes that it eventually gets resolved as it's a bit distracting.

I've attached a screenshot of the DXGL config settings I'm using (but I've tried changing multiple settings; I've found nothing to resolve this display glitch).
Attachments
DXGL config - Might and Magic VI.png
DXGL config - Might and Magic VI.png (20.12 KiB) Viewed 24283 times
William
Site Admin

Re: Might and Magic VI

Post by William »

Unfortunately, mouse support is limited on scaled modes at this time. If your graphics adapter supports the display mode that Might and Magic VI runs at, try switching back to "Change desktop resolution" to see if the problem goes away.
SedrynTyros

Post by SedrynTyros »

Gotcha. When I tried running the game in the default "Change desktop resolution" I ended up with a black screen (music still playing in the background and I was able to click on game selections from my memory of their on-screen locations, but the display was black).

I'm pretty sure my 1920x1080 monitor and video card (Nvidia GTX 1070) can handle 640x480 so I'm not sure what the problem is but no biggie. I'll keep my eye on DXGL and see if maybe this issue gets worked out at some point.
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

SedrynTyros wrote: January 9th, 2017, 8:17 pm Gotcha. When I tried running the game in the default "Change desktop resolution" I ended up with a black screen (music still playing in the background and I was able to click on game selections from my memory of their on-screen locations, but the display was black).

I'm pretty sure my 1920x1080 monitor and video card (Nvidia GTX 1070) can handle 640x480 so I'm not sure what the problem is but no biggie. I'll keep my eye on DXGL and see if maybe this issue gets worked out at some point.
Seeing as you are using a NVIDIA card, try the following:
Right click a blank area of the desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel"
In the left panel, select "Adjust desktop size and position"
Change "Perform scaling on:" from "Display" to "GPU" then click Apply. Answer yes to the dialog that pops up if your display does not go blank as a result.
SedrynTyros

Post by SedrynTyros »

William wrote: January 10th, 2017, 11:31 pm
SedrynTyros wrote: January 9th, 2017, 8:17 pm Gotcha. When I tried running the game in the default "Change desktop resolution" I ended up with a black screen (music still playing in the background and I was able to click on game selections from my memory of their on-screen locations, but the display was black).

Seeing as you are using a NVIDIA card, try the following:
Right click a blank area of the desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel"
In the left panel, select "Adjust desktop size and position"
Change "Perform scaling on:" from "Display" to "GPU" then click Apply. Answer yes to the dialog that pops up if your display does not go blank as a result.
By default, I have it set to GPU and No Scaling. I believe I tried setting it to "Display" for scaling and also the Override option but I'll confirm that when I get a chance and post the results here.
Mcguirk

Post by Mcguirk »

SedrynTyros wrote: January 9th, 2017, 8:17 pm Gotcha. When I tried tried insulated hunting boots and running the game in the default "Change desktop resolution" I ended up with a black screen (music still playing in the background and I was able to click on game selections from my memory of their on-screen locations, but the display was black).

I've not managed to get Might and Magic VI to run on Windows 10 no matter what I tried. Has there been something in the recent Win 10 updates that breaks this game?
Last edited by Mcguirk on February 22nd, 2024, 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

Unfortunately I haven't tried myself. Have you by any chance tried the version sold on GOG?

Also, does it work on any previous version of DXGL? If so, there might be a bit of a regression going on.