does this work with windowed games?

Discuss topics related to DXGL that don't belong in any other category.
twipley

Re: does this work with windowed games?

Post by twipley »

William wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 9:47 am
twipley wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 7:41 am Hello!

Just to understand it clearly, is there any way to 2x-scale windowed games, such as the original Jumper?

I would just be happy with changing the size of the contents of the window, even though I know I there might be problems with the mouse mapping while doing so (which I really wouldn't mind).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yours, twipley
I still haven't quite figured it out, but some of the changes in the next version will bring me a step closer as I now have a bit greater control over the mouse cursor.
Hello!

Let me reiterate that I am not wishing to use the mouse cursor for that game -- it is not a problem for me!

I have been trying to double-scale the original 'Jumper!' indeed, using the latest (i.e. 0.5.14) DXGL version, but to no avail. I just wanted to be sure I am not missing something.

thanks,
twipley
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

twipley wrote: August 9th, 2018, 4:02 pm
William wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 9:47 am
twipley wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 7:41 am Hello!

Just to understand it clearly, is there any way to 2x-scale windowed games, such as the original Jumper?

I would just be happy with changing the size of the contents of the window, even though I know I there might be problems with the mouse mapping while doing so (which I really wouldn't mind).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yours, twipley
I still haven't quite figured it out, but some of the changes in the next version will bring me a step closer as I now have a bit greater control over the mouse cursor.
Hello!

Let me reiterate that I am not wishing to use the mouse cursor for that game -- it is not a problem for me!

I have been trying to double-scale the original 'Jumper!' indeed, using the latest (i.e. 0.5.14) DXGL version, but to no avail. I just wanted to be sure I am not missing something.

thanks,
twipley
The reason I mentioned the mouse cursor is because it is just one step towards virtualizing a halved display resolution required to double up your game.
twipley

Post by twipley »

I am opened an enhancement request for this there: https://www.dxgl.info/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=59
twipley

Post by twipley »

Hello!

In the just-above link, you, William, had set the target milestone to v0.5.17 -- which is now out.

Having no access to a Windows machine right now, I was wondering if double-scaling in DXGL is now working with e.g. 'Jumper'?

Cheers!
twipley

EDIT: especially since the above link has not been working for me since the last couple weeks.
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

Sorry, things got a bit busy for me and I ended up releasing 0.5.17 with only minor changes. It is now slated for 0.5.18 once I finish getting overlays working.
twipley

Post by twipley »

Thanks, my friend. :)
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

I have begun development of the scaling mode. Please note I plan on retiring the Bugzilla instance, and when I do so I will let you know the location of the bug tracker.

P.S. Life is getting busy again, but I will see how much time I can give to developing this complex new feature.
twipley

Post by twipley »

Wow, thanks for the implementation !

I cannot wait to test.

DXGL rules supreme.

Cheers,
twipley
twipley

Post by twipley »

Double-scaling seems to be working fine!

However, no matter whether I am setting the window to scale or going with the default settings, the moment I am passing Jumper through DXGL things are not going smooth any more: the frame rate suffers and the game really slows down. Is that to be expected, or am I doing something wrong?

(I am under a freshly installed Windows XP x86, as an environment for my Core 2 Duo E8400 and GeForce GTX 750 Ti.)
William
Site Admin

Post by William »

That is something I will need to investigate; I seem to have slow framerate on my i7-7700k/GTX1080 system too.

I checked with FRAPS and yes I am seeing a drop from 30 to 15 fps in-game. I will have to investigate further as I may be missing the vertical blank or something.

I'll look at earlier versions of DXGL to see if this is a regression. It could also be I'm not reporting the display frequency correctly in window mode causing the game to slow down. I've seen similar issues with La-Mulana (original retro version).

P.S. You can actually enter a custom scaling value by typing it in, including fractional amounts like 1.5 or 3.33333, or even non-square like 3x2.5. The options are just the defaults.