Difference between DXGL and GCVoodoo2 ?

Discuss topics related to DXGL that don't belong in any other category.
bigbernie

Difference between DXGL and GCVoodoo2 ?

Post by bigbernie » May 17th, 2017, 2:56 am

Good morning everybody

First excuse my poor English but i'm sure you'll understand me

I like very much old games PC and Amiga ( I have bought a very new Amiga 1200 2 years ago)
Since Windows 10 and my new graphic card Nvidia 1050 for example Settlers 4 does not run anymore
I used djvoodoocpl but it's not enough. I MUST use too the special patch The Settlers4-widescreenTool.

No patch no game. Patches are not universals. They must be made for one and only game. The conceptor of widescreenTool has patched 200 games/ 5000.

I read that on the web

I got Settler IV running with DXGL on Win10 without any other applied "Fix Patches" for the
3D Initialisation Error messages.
I've attached my actual settings. S4 is running without applying any compatibility settings
to S4.exe or S4_main.exe.

I'm using a gfxengine.dll mod to fit the game resolution to my 4k screen though.

This guy use DXGL and not voodoo. And does not need widescreen for the same game as I.

In order to test DXGL, must I turn voodoo wrapper Off ?

voodoo and DXGL together some troubles are possible ?

Thanks a lot.

William
Site Admin

Re: Difference between DXGL and GCVoodoo2 ?

Post by William » May 17th, 2017, 3:07 am

Hi. DXGL is an implementation of DirectDraw, or ddraw.dll. No other graphics wrappers should be added to the game.
In order to fit the game to your screen, have you tried "Aspect corrected stretch" or "Stretch to screen" in DXGL config? These settings will stretch the picture to your screen, but they might cause mouse issues.

bigbernie

Post by bigbernie » May 17th, 2017, 3:29 am

Thank's a lot
I"ll try that further.

I wonder about utility of widescreentool.

Using gcvoodoo wrapper I can choose a lot of screens sizes too.

But without WidescreenTool a lot of old games does not run.

I'm sorry but i'm not an expert in video.

I wonder only why some old PC games will run usint Dgvoodoo only and some others absolutely needs widescreen on top of it.

DXGL is or is not a wrapper ?

Thanks again.

RandolphG

Post by RandolphG » August 19th, 2017, 3:54 am

William wrote:
May 17th, 2017, 3:07 am
Hi. DXGL is an implementation of DirectDraw, or ddraw.dll. No other graphics wrappers should be added to the game.
In order to fit the game to your screen, have you tried "Aspect corrected stretch" or "Stretch to screen" in DXGL config? These settings will stretch the picture to your screen, but they might cause mouse issues.
Thanks William that worked perfect for me and no mouse issues either!

William
Site Admin

Post by William » August 20th, 2017, 12:03 am

RandolphG wrote:
August 19th, 2017, 3:54 am
William wrote:
May 17th, 2017, 3:07 am
Thanks William that worked perfect for me and no mouse issues either!
Thanks for the heads-up. To tell you the truth, I don't think I have touched the mouse scaling code in years.